Saw Palmetto is a tree that’s ripe fruit is used for medicinal purposes. When used Saw Palmetto is a tier 2 supplement containing fatty acids and beta-sitosterols that are commonly used to help men with prostate and urinary symptoms. Some of the health benefits associated with the prostate include:
- Shown to reduce weight and inhibit the growth of prostate (rat)6.
- Clinically shown to be comparable or more effective than pharmaceutical drugs for pain and urinary symptoms associated with prostatitis and BPH. 7,8,23
- May reduce the pressure that the prostate exerts on the urethra by shrinking the lining of the prostate.
- Beta-sitosterols have been clinically shown to decrease levels of DHT (the hormone linked to BPH) and significantly improve urinary flow.
SAW PALMETTO CLINICAL STUDIES*
SAW PALMETTO CLINICAL RESULTS - BPH
*Suter, Andreas, R Saller, et al. Improving BPH symptoms and sexual dysfunctions with saw palmetto preparation. Results from a pilot trial. Phytother. Res. Feb 2013.
BETA-SITOSTEROL CLINICAL RESULTS
Berges RR, Windeler J, Trampisch HJ, Senge T. Randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial of beta-sitosterol in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Beta-sitosterol Study Group. Lancet. 1995 Jun 17;345(8964):1529-32.
Herb commonly used to treat urinary problems associated with BPH and urinary tract infections.
• Clinically shown to relieve difficulty in urinating and urge to urinate caused by BPH18,20,21.
• In vitro seen to interfere with SHGB and prevent it from combining with androgens19.
• Ability to act as a 5-α-reductase inhibitor, preventing the conversion of testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)22.
• German Commission E approves the use of nettle leaf as supportive therapy in patients with LUTS (combined with immune and antimicrobial therapy) and to prevent and treat formation of urinary gravel.
STINGING NETTLE CLINICAL STUDIES*
STINGING NETTLE CLINICAL RESULTS - BPH
Ghorbanibirgani A, Khalili A, Zamani L. The Efficacy of Stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica) in Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Randomized Double-Blind Study in 100 Patients. Iran Red Cres Med J. 2013;15(1):9-10
COMBINATION THERAPY CLINICAL STUDIES*
(SAW PALMETTO WITH STINGING NETTLE OR QUERCETIN)
STINGING NETTLES AND SAN PALMETTO COMBINED (PRO) CLINICAL EFFICACY IPSS
Lopatkin N, et al Long-term efficacy and safety of a combination of sabal and urtica extract for lower urinary tract symptoms--a placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter trial . World J Urol. (2005)
Quercetin is a Tier 1 supplement and naturally occurring plant pigment (flavinoid) recognized as a potent antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and symptom relief benefits associated with prostatitis.
• Promoted caspase activation in vitro 27,28,31, 32
• Shown in vivo to work with finasteride to reduce prostate weight24 and anti-tumor activity 30.
• Clinically shown to provide symptomatic improvement in CP/CPPS and shown to enhance the efficacy of antibiotic to treat CP when used un combination with other natural ingredients (saw palmetto and stinging nettle) 7.
• A recommended treatment though the UPOINT System for Prostatitis Treatment used by medical professionals 25,26.
Pygeum Africanum is a herbal extract taken from the bark of the African cherry tree. This Tier 2 herb is used to promote prostate and bladder health, BPH, and nocturia reduction.
• Major active components are fat-soluble sterols (phytosterols) and fatty acids that can inhibit the production of DHT (dihydrotestosterone), pro-inflammatory prostaglandins in the prostate48,49.
• Contains triterpenes and ferulic acid nesters to block the accumulation of cholesterol in the prostate49.
• Shown in vitro and in vivo to modulate bladder contractility, viability, promote cell apoptosis, and suppress production of prostaglandins41-46.
• Clinically shown to improve urinary flow, reduce nocturia, and improve prostate symptoms in men with BPH or prostatitis33-37,47.
PYGEUM AFRICANUM CLINICAL STUDIES*
PYGEUM AFRICANUM (PA) EFFECT ON PROSTATE STROMAL CELLS FROM PATIENTS WITH BPH
MT Quiles et al. Antiproliferative and Apoptotic Effects of the Herbal Agent Pygeum Africanum on Cultured Prostate Stromal Cells From Patients With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) . Prostate 70 (10), 1044-1053. 2010 Jul 01
PYGEUM AFRICANUM CLINICAL RESULT - BPH
Wilt T, Ishani A, Mac Donald R, Rutks I, Stark G. Pygeum africanum for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(1):CD001044 (latest version in 16 Nov 2001).
GREEN TEA EXTRACT
Tier 2 supplement with antioxidant qualities to provide support for prostate health, normal prostate size.
• Shown to regulate DHT production and hormones that influence prostate volume. Catechins (polyphenol compounds) in green tea shown to have anti-inflammatory qualities, reduce infection, enhance the immune system, and regulate the production and activities of hormones50,51.
• In vitro, in vivo and clinical studies identified EGCG (green tea catechin) to be a modulator of molecular pathways to prostate carcinogenesis52,53.
• In vitro EGCG acts as an anti-androgen antagonist, production of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), reduces tumor size and delays development of prostate tumors (TRAMP mice)54-56.
GREEN TEA CLINICAL STUDIES*
GREEN TEA CLINICAL EFFECT
Lycopene is a Carotentoid produced by plants, it’s a natural pigment that gives some plants their red color. It enhances antioxidant response to support prostate health, generally recognized as safe (GRAS).
• Epidemiological /Clinical studies link increased lycopene consumption, decreasing serum PSA levels, suppression of tumor growth and supporting urinary function63-69,75.
• Animal studies show antitumorigenic effect 73-74.
• In vitro and in vivo shown to enhance the antioxidant response of prostate cells, inhibit proliferation, demonstrate chemopreventive effect induce apoptosis 70, 71.
LYCOPENE CLINICAL STUDIES*
Holsapfel N, B Holzapfel, S Champ, et al. The potential role of lycopene : from molecular mechanisms to clinical evidence, In J Mol Sci. 2014. 14, 14620-46.
ESSENTIAL VITAMINS AND MINERALS
VITAMIN E AND SELENIUM (MINERAL)
Vitamin E and selenium have antioxidative properties and are widely used to prevent damage to the cells, provide immune support.
• Selenium has shown in vitro to decrease the activity of the androgen receptor leading TO increase levels of p53 (tumor suppression) and regulate oxidative and the immune system88,89.
• Higher blood selenium concentrations have been clinically decrease PSA levels81-84
VITAMIN E AND SELENIUM CLINICAL STUDIES*
VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN D AND ZINC
Vitamins and mineral required for proper prostate function, cell repair and immune health. Vitamin B6 - Recognized for the proper manufacture and metabolism of hormones necessary for prostate health.
• Induced apoptosis and antiproliferative effect on PC and BPH cells in vitro94,95.
• Plays a role in testosterone, sperm formation /mobility, and DNA damage repair 106, 107.
• Clinical experience associates inverse relationship between zinc intake and risk of prostate issues94-96,99,101.
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ZINC INTAKE AND PC
Mahmoud, Abeer M. et al. “Zinc Intake : Case-Control Study and Meta-Analysis.” Ed. Aamir Ahmad. PLoS ONE 11.11 (2016): e0165956. PMC. Web. 19 Apr. 2017.